View Single Post
Old January 24, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

With a pot as large as I think you are talking about you should be able to get $3 each. The problem at some markets is the fact that they can get 3, or 4, or 6 packs for dirt cheap. The plants will often be taller than mine too. But spindly and sometimes a bit yellow from lack of fertilizer. You will have to teach them that they will be getting a couple of weeks jump on those other plants because your plants have better roots and a thicker stem.

I was surprised that even at markets that were cheap and didn't want to buy my regular sized plants, I WAS able to sell gallon pot dwarf plants for $6 and larger 2 gallon dwarfs with tomatoes on them for $12-15.

The "hot" varieties seem to change a lot from year to year partly depending on if a variety got a write-up in some magazine that spring. Lots of people know the name Brandywine, but often i will stear them to something earlier and easier, more dependable like Caspian Pink or now Marianna's Peace or Gregori's Altai. Anything BIG is usually popular too. Early varieties do well too. Just have the varieties that you know are good and can talk up.

That reminds me. You will have to talk till your blue in the face because people will want to know about the varieties. That's why the signs. When you get busy, you could lose customers if they can't figure out what the varieties are all about.

With the Peppers I usually specialized in the HOT peppers. Anaheim, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Ancho, Thai, and of course Habanero. Any of the colorful ornamentals usually sell well too.

I was up stairs in my spare bedroom between these posts. I was seeding some of my dwarfs so hopefully I will have some BIG plants with some tomatoes on them by the beginning of May when my markets get going.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote