View Single Post
Old November 4, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bill, I was still online elsewhere when you posted the age of your seeds and in the meantime Fusion has done a long post sharing with you how he does it.

Much of what he does I also do but there are aspects that I don't do, less steps, etc. which I could indicate if you wanted me too.

In the meantime you could try Fusion's method.

How interesting that you do have some original seeds, and if from the 70's that 's interesting as well, Probably the early 70's if they were original seeds saved, and interesting b'c the documented record of waking up old seeds is 50 years old and that from seeds that were moved from the USDA precursor station in Cheyenne, WY to the Ames, IA station where germination tests were done.

Your seeds are probably close to 45 or so years old now, but no harm in trying to wake them up. And you certainly have enough seeds to work with

And yes, there are places that do list Walter and would be the same Walter variety, and other places that I would not deal with if you aren't successful.

I can't see much sense in sending seeds to others b'c if they germinate some, and it may take months, as has happened to me in the past, then where to go from there since I'm in NYS, Fusion in AL, if he asks for them, but I don't think he will but Darrel can speak for himself here. And same concern for anyone else who posts here that they would try to germinate them as well.

Darrel, in the 2011 SSE YEarbook there is a listing for Walter, very detailed history given, from a person form AL who says that you reccomended the variety to him or her, I didn't look it up, amd then cited seeds were from CV E and R, and that's not one on the list of commercial sources listed in the back of the YEarbook. What and where is CV E and R?

And were you the source to the SSE lister of seeds or plants? I didn't check your website to see if you list Walter plants/seeds.

I know I'm copping out on the looking here and there for info but right now I just don't think I have the time'b'c if I don't get these SSE YEarbook listings done and sent by the deadline, well, that wouldn't be good at all.