View Single Post
Old May 29, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Dug the Inferno and learned about bulbils

Yesterday I dug the Russian Inferno garlic as the Siberian needs just a bit more time. They are both new to me and are a lot taller than the turban types I had for the past two years. Again I made the mistake of leaving them in too long so the four bulbs on the right were starting to open. They’ll get used first. They are all now hanging under the pole shed to cure.

Thanks to Pure Harvest for that tip about stripping one or two leaves to remove all the dirt after digging!

Along the stems of a few of the opening bulbs I noticed what looked like baby bulbs growing out of the stem. You old garlic hands know about these but since I had never seen this before I had to look it up and found they are bulbils. I will save them to plant and in a few years of replanting I might have full sized bulbs. Just something to play with.

These bulbs were vernalized in a drink refrigerator at 45-50 for nine weeks late last summer since they're not the optimal types for this area. Seems like they did OK so I'm thinking of doing both again next year and adding some Lorz Italian softneck and maybe a Creole type, both of which are supposed to work in the South.

Has anyone already put in their order for fall garlic yet? If so, how's availability seeing that there's been a run on spring stuff?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote