Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2019   #60
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I pulled mine a few days ago, before the rain. It was about the same as last year. I hoped for a little bigger or average, and there were more runts than I expected. But most look good. I did a little analysis as I cleaned and hung them. The average size was bigger toward the south end of the bed. They get more sun there. Also, the average bulb size was bigger on the ones I left the scape on. That was about 10% of the garlic, at random. I may not be breaking the scapes correctly, but it seems detrimental for me. The ones with intact scapes had nicer size and healthier stalks.
Another thing, the bulbils on this garlic are huge compared to the bulbils on the walking version. 6-12 nearly dime size bulbils instead of 30-50 1/4" ones.
Also I took pic of three sets of doublecloves along with the next garlic in line. Sometimes one of the doubles was bigger than the next single. The wrappers are fine, just flat spotted between them. I don't have a problem with planting them.

This bed had 18 staggered rows of 9 with some doubles, so about 165. Last year it was 108, so that was probably 12 rows of 9, but that also had three narrow rows of rounds and bulbils on the south end that did nothing except waste two rows worth of space. So, I had 18 rows in the same space as 14 rows last year. I may well plant wider this fall and focus on largest bulbs.

I still have two small beds at the comm garden spot that I need to pull this week. Hopefully those cloves will be bigger. With that rain we have been running some fans and dehumidifier downstairs so the garlic in my grow light area drying down nicely. That pic is after 96hrs of hanging.

Late April

Pulled July 10 due to possible rain the next day (turned out to be 6")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (282.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (193.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (227.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (238.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (255.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 06.JPG (270.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 80.JPG (230.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 83.JPG (216.6 KB, 59 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote