View Single Post
Old July 6, 2019   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Sari! That is interesting to know - I also tried digging up some of the failed ones to see what happened - one was bitten by something but the others that I found appeared to be just frost killed.
If I'd been thinking straight, I would have made sure that every variety had a backup in the greenhouse. And another thing that I forgot to mark, which one of the rounds came from the greenhouse or from outdoors last season. I wondered if greenhouse growing is putting the burden of acclimatizing onto the next generation, and so they are worse prepared.... I do think that once they are past that sensitive stage in the rounds, and are planted as cloves, they will acclimatize anyway.

This year I will be better prepared because I'm thinking about it already! I have raked up and bagged some leaves at my brother's this spring, and stashed some for mulching the garlic babies that do go outdoors. But I'm planning to use the greenhouse as well, to make sure I don't lose any varieties. Large rounds in the greenhouse should give me bulbs if I plant them in fall, and then I will be safely past that delicate stage.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote