View Single Post
Old January 24, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Bill and Jane have a point too, about ferts washing out of the soil when you get too much rain. Garlic doesn't like wet, but nothing you can do about it - but maybe another snack would help, especially if the rain is laying off for a bit, give them a chance to get nourished.
That's a real good point. A snack of Miracle Grow will probably happen once the bed dries out a bit. We got another 1.5" last night and 1.3" the night before last. Sigh. Just when standing water went away in the "swimming pool" at the bottom end of the garden, it's back again. Good thing I won't need that area until late April!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I've read that garlic does like ferts, and besides what is applied at planting time, some people do side dress with compost or give liquid fish fert in early spring
I've also read that garlic doesn't like nitrogen in the last two months and for quality bulbs it should about run out of soil nitrogen by the end. But some side dressing with bonemeal for some phosphorus is also recommended by some. These two varieties are ready early May so I need to pay attention to nitrogen application.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote