View Single Post
Old June 26, 2015   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Yes I meant funneling the seeds into containers. I really can't see why it's bad for seeds to sit in a little moisture for a few extra hours.They have spent their whole life in water up to that point.But while I have your attention I have a question.For a long time I just scraped the seeds out of the tomato with some gel and juice and some or the tomato got in there too.I started doing it the way you do it since I read your posts on fermenting.But the way I was doing it, the seeds fermented and all and I never had any problem.I guess my question is, does this method seem ok?I think I know your answer but I ask anyway
Have you ever had fermented seeds germinate on the plate you dumped them on? I have. You say soak for just a few more hours, but that's not what always happens, b'c there may have been too much water that got on the plate, the humidity may have been high so the water didn't evaporate quickly, etc.

You say that seeds have spent their whole life in water, so I'm assuming you mean after you sow them in mix and then keep them watered. But that's a different situation IMO b'c the mix also absorbs water.

Yes, I have taken seeds from fruits, but rarely and not lately. The last time was when someone went to the Galapagos ISlands and I asked her to bring me back some S. cheesmanii, which is salt tolerant. How she got actual fruits through customs I don't know, but she sent me the fruits.

Being brief here, I knew they weren't what I asked for, called Dr Chatelet at the TGRC and since I knew the island they came from he was able to tell me what they could be.

So I scooped the seeds out of just one fruit, no processing at all and sowed them and got about 100% germination.

But the reason that I and most others do process seeds, me always by fermentation, is b'c if the fruits /seeds, are contaminated the fermentation can and does, if done correctly remove most of the pathogens that are on the seed coat most, but not all, and since transmission and infection are quantitative, there's less of a chance that such seeds can transmit infections, mainly for the foliage fungal ones since the bacterial ones are inside the seed.

And it can also lessen the possibility of transmission of some of the soil borne diseases such as Fusarium, Verticillium, etc.

Here's what happened to the ones I never processed:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara%27s_Galapagos

Amy's daughter didn't go to the Galapogos as was said, but Amy named the variety for her.

I sent seeds from the plants I'd setout back to her and initially let her SSE list it, and then also listed it myself after that, and offered in many past seed offers here at Tville.

As Tania said in the link it tastes great and she highly recommends it, as do I.

Carolyn