View Single Post
Old August 4, 2010   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse project finally started

I may get the greenhouse built for next season after all. Last week DH drilled holes on the big rocks on the yard and we poured rock splitting mortar to the holes. Couples of days later when we returned from our lake cabin, the rocks were in pieces. Our neighbor is getting major landscaping done and we spoke with the foreman of the crew, that they can come and dig up the bigger rocks and a tree stump and then fill the area with gravel.

On Monday they had a contractor with a boom lift truck removing some trees next to the house and that inspired us to ask, if these guys could take down four big trees next to our house. They promised to come on Tuesday morning to do that. Monday evening we decided to cut two tall birches and a spruce ourselves and let the guys take down the pine, which was leaning towards our house and also the tall pines in the middle of our backyard. When the day was done we had all together six tall pines taken down and another neighbor had two pines and two birches cut. Best of all is that the one neighbor having their yard done had the shading ugly spruces cut down. The landscape architect had planned that the trees should be saved, but he had asked half of the roots taken away when the top soil was changed, so the house owner started to be worried that the trees can fall down in heavy wind. There was a big storm in another part of the country last week, which caused huge damage and that made us all look at the trees around our houses differently.

It would have taken too long to use the chipper to cut all the branches, so today even it was pouring most of the day we loaded the branches into a roll-off dumpster. It was busy couple of days, but our yard gets now much more light, which will be great for the greenhouse.

I know there is still a lot of work before the greenhouse is built, but these were the biggest obstacles in the way.

I'm tired but very happy!

Sari