View Single Post
Old August 15, 2020   #1
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Default Did I find Teddy Jones?

Back about 25 years ago, I spent way too much time on Gardenweb...especially the Tomato forum. There I learned that Big Boy and Better Boy, two early hybrids, shared a parent.

I grew each one, saved seeds and planted 40 of each the next year. Always looking for pink, I grew between 40-80 of the best ones every year until about 2004, when I hadn't found anything that resembled Carolyn's vague description. Taking midsummer blossoms of the best candidate of each, I ripped the stamens from about 5 pink Big Boy F8 segregate blossoms and got them friendly with the pollen from a few pink Better Boy F8's.

I got about 3 ripe fruits... two attacked by critters, but Did get enough seeds to keep on. In 2012, I got involved with a local political initiative, the kids were demanding more of my time, and THEN nearly lost my leg in a logging accident. I had to park the breeding experiments.

I wear a leg brace, but get around pretty OK...thanks to a wonderful surgeon.

I had separated out a nice pink globe ( a good home canner) and was working towards a big pink beefsteak.

F8 (for the second time) was grown out this year, from old seeds. Germination was poor (and one envelope labeled "pink globe" is obviously not...good thing I sowed some from both)

Is this as close as one can come to Teddy Jones?

I doubt it: TJ was supposedly a badly behaved rampant indet with little disease resistance; mine are happy in a 5' reinforcing wire cage and have yet to lose any leaves.

But I'm not going any further. Mama and I canned 28 quarts of Tomatoes today. I'm just gonna grow these as they are now.

As a working name, I called one Ted Steak and Ted Globe. One more year to make sure they're true, and I will share.

But what should I call them?

Suggestions?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk