View Single Post
Old August 19, 2017   #13
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

So many Marvels... Fingers crossed the one selected from Merveille des Marches is eventually rediscovered. In the meantime, Marvelosa is doing great for me! It's less of a hassle to control than Marglobe (with its sprawling habit), really productive, and the fruit ripened nearly two weeks earlier than Marglobe. The Marvelosas are beautiful -- deep pink, smooth, largely blemish-free, no BER -- and have a great taste and texture. The flavor is a bit less tangy than many reds, but it's packed with old-time tomatoey goodness. Definitely a keeper for me, and I'm not the biggest fan of pink tomatoes. (This year I discovered, to my great disappointment, that I really don't like Brandywine Sudduth's or Brandy Boy. Caspian Pink wasn't great, either.) I'm currently saving LOTS of Marvelosa seeds from bagged blossoms and plan to regrow it next season. I'm also trying Livingston's Globe and either Break O' Day (if I can find seeds) or Rutgers next year.

FYI - Glovel, Marglobe's "sister" variety, seems even less acidic than Marvelosa to my tastebuds, but it's very pretty -- a shiny, medium rose-pink, and also largely blemish-free. It seems to complement other flavors very well, without overpowering them. I'm finding it great in salads, tomato tarts with roasted garlic and parmesan, and sandwiches. This weekend I'll try grilling a few Marvelosas and Glovels and adding a white balsamic vinaigrette. Both should be quite good, I think...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote