View Single Post
Old April 6, 2018   #25
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
I'm not growing any of these, and don't currently have room to grow them, nor do I expect to at any time this year, but I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of:

Big Boy vs Better Boy vs Best Boy vs Super Boy vs Brandy Boy (vs any other boys I can't think of)...

..if for no other reason than they all end in boy and I think it would be fun.

I think a similar thing could be done with all the various "girl tomatoes" too.
I'd put my coin on Big Beef beating all of the boys. Even Brandy Boy if it tastes like a Brandywine. This year is gonna be the first year I won't have any Big Beef and I'm starting to think maybe I should squeeze in one or two just to keep as a couple comparison.

I grew Big Boy and Better Boy and Whopper two years ago and I ranked the Whopper as better than either of the boys. Whopper was very good but Big Beef still took it down in taste tests.

I do agree though that a King of the Boys mater match would be cool. I still think if anyone of them could match BgBf's mildly acidic rich tomatoey taste they'd be talked about as much as BgBf is. Something about the after taste of Big Beef reminds me that I just had a wonderful fruit. Something none of the boys can do. .

I think Burpee messed up with Steak Sandwich. That's a dang good one that I personally believe should have been given a better name with "boy" in it! When I grew it the fruit was a bright pink with beautiful red insides. That was a good tomato that rivaled Big Beef. I never compared it to bgbf that year because I grew it as a hamburger topping and i only realized how good it was when I ate the last few sliced with salt. I need to grow that one again.

Alas I am done with commercial hybrids. Too many heirlooms to try and my neighbor grows Whopper exclusively and she gives me tons of them if she catches me out in my yard.

I like the idea of sorta kinda developing my own landracers and generous peeps here have sent me some really good stabilized hybrids and open pollinated seeds.

So at my place it's gonna be Joseph's Landracers vs destiny!
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote