Thread: Okra
View Single Post
Old February 11, 2007   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Clemson spineless is a marginal cultivar for your purposes. Here are some others that are too long season and too much heat required: Burgundy, Cowhorn, Longhorn, African, Mammoth, Emerald, Star of David, etc.

Burmese would be my first choice for an okra you can grow. Lee is also a commonly available variety that should work. Bakerscreek has Burmese!

Burmese in my garden was 2 weeks earlier than my mainseason varieties. The plants topped out at 3.5 feet tall but each plant produced 20 to 30 pods. Don't expect eye opening production but do expect an acceptable crop especially given the climate you are growing in.

I would suggest pre-starting seed indoors but warn that you must be very very careful with the roots. Okra has a brittle and easily damaged root structure and if it is damaged in transplanting the plant is slow to recover. Burmese can be planted closer together than my other varieties. Cowhorn for example needs at least 1.5 feet between plants and 4 feet between rows. Burmese can be productive with as little as 8 inches in-row and 3 feet between rows.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote