View Single Post
Old July 18, 2019   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

This year, I woke up some Dolly Parton seeds from 2008. I used Jiffy Mix as the medium. It has a light, and fluffy texture to it. It holds water well without being soggy.

I used a heat mat and set it to 78 degrees F.

I placed the seeds on top of the mix and then barely covered them with additional mix and moistened with a spray bottle lightly. I mixed Miracle Grow crystals at about 1/20th normal concentration and this was used thru out the process. I kept the mix damp, but not wet. I used CFL lighting. The bulbs were "Daylight - 6400K" rated.

The things I found to be important, above all else, were keeping that heat going and never turning the lights off before seeing the germination. Then, I had to exercise a lot of patience. My Dolly Parton seeds took more than 36 days, but happily, they finally showed up. Using that light Jiffy Mix helped that effort.

If you would like me to try your new found treasure, I can do that, but it will have to be next season. PM me to get an address. I can send you a list to choose from if you wish to make it a trade.

Hope this helps. Take care. Best of luck with this "new baby".

I woke up a bunch of older seeds this season using this process.

I now have three plants in the main garden and hope the local critters won't hurt my efforts in the long run.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote