View Single Post
Old November 23, 2012   #20
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
I supplied 15 families with most of their fresh produce during the growing season through a Community Support Agriculture program. Once a week, starting in late April and ending in early November, each customer comes to the house and picks up a bag or box of very fresh, organically grown produce. At the height the season, a box will typically weigh 25-30 lbs. and contain some 40 varieties of 20 or so types of fruits and veggies. Obviously it takes some time to harvest and organize this much produce, but the customers are very appreciative. They pay at the beginning of the season, which REALLY helps with planning. Early in the season is when I need the extra $ for soil amendments, potting mix, seeds, planting supplies, etc. So it's a win-win situation.

At the risk of getting a bit too personal and self-promoting, I thought I might pass along a copy of what I wrote a couple of months ago to a potential customer (sensitive info. removed):

So that's it in a nutshell. When I pick for my CSA customers, I know they will use what I pick and they appreciate my efforts. My efforts are very focused and my time is used efficiently.

When I pick for farmers markets, it's a crap shoot - and I can scarcely tolerate standing around hoping when I could be working. Sales were NEVER brisk.

Oh, I've had plenty of very engaging conversations at market and had a number of repeat customers. I often did at least as well as the "lady in the next booth over". But most consumers buy few if any fresh produce items. Most of us vendors of fresh produce were repeatedly stunned at the poor sales.

And I appreciate what was said about vendors who are obviously not the growers who bring in a rented U-Haul truck full of "fresh" produce and undercut the rest of us on prices. They seem to do just fine, even though they don't seem to know much about what they are offering for sale...

On the other hand, kettle corn, cotton candy, fresh-cooked pizza, popcicles and various value-added products sell like crazy at the market. I wonder - is it really a farmers market or a carnival?

Sorry to come across as negative, but after my first serious year in business, I'm really leaning heavily towards CSA's over farmers markets. That's just me in my circumstances.
Thanks a bunch for that, sorry I am responding so late, how do you find a CSA? It sounds good. Thanks again for the time!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote