View Single Post
Old October 12, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Lunar Eclipse - Lithium Sunset x Indigo Rose

I'm calling this line Lunar Eclipse, a name inspired by the eclipse we had a couple weeks ago. The red moon in the black sky reminded me of this line. Long-term, I'm hoping for a very dark antho-shouldered fruit, with stripes on the bottom and a bicolor interior. Flavor is, obviously, a must.

Here's the parents:

Lithium Sunset. A more complete description is here

Indigo Rose - The popular antho saladette released by OSU. Good fruit and stem antho.

Here's the F2's

From top to bottom, left to right: JL1, JL3, JL4, JL5, FY 1-1, FY 1-2, FY1-3, FY 1-4, FY 1-5, FY1-6, FY 1-7

FY1-2 is the main one I'm carrying forward. It has the size, and while being probably the darkest antho tomato I've grown, it lacks the inky-antho taste. It's a great tasting fruit in general; in fact, earlier this season, I gave a chef buddy of mine a big bag of assorted tomatoes and he came back specifically for more of these. It's pink (rather than red) on the underside, which somewhat confirms for me the theory that antho+clear epidermis tastes better than antho+yellow epidermis.

JL3, The other one I'm going forward with. It's small, and has the antho taste, but it also has the stripes+antho combination I'm looking for. We'll just have to see what comes of it.

FY1-1, FY1-2, FY1-3

FY1-4, FY 1-5, FY1-6, FY1-7. I'll probably do a couple F3's from 1-4 because I like the subtle striping, and several from 1-5 because it had the second best taste, and I like the antho "tiger stripes". If anybody's interested I'd love some co-growers for 1-4 and 1-5 (or any of the others). I think they could be great, I just don't have room.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote