View Single Post
Old May 8, 2008   #15
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Old Melon Varieties

I acquired seed of these two melon varieties some years ago and have enjoyed growing them. The Missouri Gold Muskmelon seed being offered at Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange was shared with Merlyn Niedens to be grown for 2008 Description below.

I acquired the Scaley Bark Watermelon some years ago from a member at Dave's Garden. Friend Rodger Winn grew and liked it; I don't know if he plans to offer it or not. He provided the Stone Mountain Watermelon variety to Baker Creek and SESE for 2008 growing season-- See descriptions below.
Gary

Missouri Gold Muskmelon. These melons have bright orange flesh and are very sweet. The fruit is small, only 2-3 pounds. They are from 1840s and the same family, Niebrugge, has grown them. Joseph Borris, Tentopolis, IL purchased the seed in 1970s and has been growing them since.
Alice Gamewell of Eureka, MO acquired the seed from Mr. Borris in 2000. The melon has been offered previously in the Seed Savers Exchange. I shared seed with Merlyn Nieden's, Master Seed grower, last season and he grew these for Baker Creek Seed and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Alice is a devoted seed saver dedicated to preserving Heirloom seed/plant varieties.

Scaley Bark: 90 days. Mottled green, thick rind, medium red flesh. Rare/difficult to find seed. Mid 1800s. variety, true seed variety. (Note - a seed company had a different type seed they were promoting.)

Stone Mountain New!
A legendary commercial melon from the early 20th century. Stone Mountain was introduced in 1923 by Hastings Seed Company of Atlanta, Georgia, and went on to become one of the top commercial melons of the 1930s and 1940s, but now it is almost extinct due to mass production and hybrids. Nice-sized fruit weigh about 30 lbs, and have thick rinds that makes them excel as shippers and storage melons. The red flesh is sweet, juicy and wonderful, bringing back memories of how watermelons used to taste. A classic Southern melon that we are proud to offer, thanks to seed collector Rodger Winn. http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Watermelon/Stone-Mountain

Stone Mountain WATERMELON 1923. A commercial bestseller from the ‘30s and ‘40s, thanks to grower Rodger Winn for bringing back this old Southern favorite. Slightly oval 30-lb fruits with a dark green rind and sweet, juicy red flesh. Thick, split-resistant rind makes it great for shipping and storage. http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...gory_Code=WMEL