View Single Post
Old April 3, 2019   #14
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
What is the story on LED equipment to purchase to replace T8 and T12 fluorescent fixtures with LED fixtures including sources and cost? I will do some more reading but I am thinking about replacement for 2020 season.

Thank You!

Do it, your plants will love you for it.

Cost is minimal and you'll have to use non-shunted tombstones or break the shunt, so the only cost would be the bulbs.

These bulbs are 4 for $40

You can order non shunted tombstones on line or just break the shunts on your existing tombstones.

Non Shunted tombstones.

I just finished mine earlier this year then opted for other lights, so this was disassembled and the bulbs used for my fish tanks.

Your best bet is to try and find 6000k or 6500k bulbs with the power on one end.
Remove the ballast and save the wire (cut wire close to ballast, leave just enough wire in case you want to reuse the ballast)
then you rewire the tombstones, one side is hot and one side is neutral, then pig tail all the hots together then pigtail all the neutrals together, you can then put a switch on the hot side if you want a switch, then wire the pigtailed wires into the lights existing cord.

Here is where I added a wire to the other side to an existing tombstone.

I have done all the lights in my shop this way and this one over my work bench I use for plants that do great. I take this down when the plants go outside.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote