View Single Post
Old June 17, 2014   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The easiest way to control the SVB is once the plant is in the ground keep it mulched heavily and keep a good dusting of Sevin on the main stem. After every heavy rain or heavy watering reapply the Sevin Dust to the stem. Since I started doing this three years ago I haven't lost any plants to SVBs until we tire of eating squash and I quit dusting them.

I also find the dust is fairly good at keeping out pickle worms in cucumbers and the cucumber beetle. Make sure to apply it very late in the evening so you don't bother the bees. By the way I have more bees this year than I have seen in the last ten years so this method must not be harming them like sprays and stronger pesticides. I found BT to be totally useless against both the SVB and pickle worms. I still use it but it seems that some worms just don't get enough of it in them to bother them or they are not affected by it. I just don't know. I have had to resort to the Sevin dust on several tomato and pepper plants that despite BT were getting thoroughly consumed by worms.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote