View Single Post
Old February 27, 2018   #115
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cole, are your horse troughs open or closed?

I remember I ran across some information about the effect of moisture on heat loss, not good. Just looking for that in my reading notes file..... I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my airleaky yet not perfectly vented greenhouse this spring so trying to read up...

first note/quote:
"..Convection heat transfer is the physical movement of a warm gas or liquid to a colder location. As air is heated in a greenhouse, it rises to the roof and loses some of its heat to the roof glazing materials. Then the cooler, heavier air sinks towards the floor until it is warmed by the heater or by warmer floors and benches. Heat losses by convection inside the greenhouse occur through ventilation and infiltration (fans and air leaks). Heat transfer by convection includes not only the movement of air but also the movement of water vapor. When water in the greenhouse evaporates, it absorbs energy. When water vapor condenses back to a liquid, it releases energy. So when water vapor condenses on the surface of an object, it releases energy to the outside environment."

second note/quote:
"It takes about 1000 X as much energy to evaporate a given amount of water as it does to warm it up one degree F. If water is evaporated from plant or soil surfaces and the vapor is carried to a cooler region, say the glazing, it may condense and give off much of that heat to the glazing, which in turn will conduct and radiate the heat away. Thus condensation on the glazing, besides decreasing the ability of the glazing to transmit light, also contributes to heat loss from the greenhouse. "

Keeping the heat in the greenhouse,pdf.
Chapter 3 Conrad Heeschen
and
http://www.greenhouse-management.com..._loss_gain.htm

And the graphic is from one of those refs as well... somewhere out there.
Attached Images
File Type: png evap-heatloss.png (194.7 KB, 50 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote