View Single Post
Old April 15, 2008   #25
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
Clay isn't too bad if you can mix in a lot of organic matter to keep it from sticking back together. Have you thought about double-digging the entire row and placing the sod-top layer at the bottom? and mix in a bunch of straw, peatmoss, compost etc into the clay on top. That would give you a deep bed as well as a bit of a raised bed. If your yard has any slope you could put in a drain pipe along the bottom.

I'm against the idea of well holes with gravel/stone. The clay filters in fast and clogs the spaces. We had something similar done to our back yard (a trench filled with gravel to catch runnoff) they didn't put in a drain pipe in the gravel or out the end of the trench so the trench just filled up and the back yard still became a pond every time it rained hard. I spend a week digging down at the end of the trench, and dug a ditch for the water to run out of the gravel. Also, the clay had more or less infiltrated most of the gravel and plugged it up.
I still have to get rid of the debris, but yes it might not work for very long, maybe a season....I very well could do a drain of sorts, I have plenty of 4" pipe that would just need holes drilled in one side .....let me think about that...yard does slope.....
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote