View Single Post
Old August 20, 2015   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
STAT!! These things have taken over!! Grrrr.....

I want to salvage what I have left. I picked most of the semi-red/orange toms but they moved over to the peppers!!

What has worked best for you??

Thanks in advance,

Greg
I don't use any insecticides in the garden; normally just a garlic, red pepper and sage tea to confuse and repel the insects. That doesn' t have any effect on the leaf- footed bug or other stink bugs. I've been searching for years for a solution.

This year I tried this product on the garden. To find if it was working, I didn't use anything else, not even the garlic, red pepper and sage tea. I don't have any association with the company and haven't tried any of their products before this year.

I chose the product because of its Bacillus pumilus content for cucumber beatle control.

I didn't follow label directions and use it as a soil drench.

I used a meat marinade injector to inject 2 oz. of solution into the root ball of transplants. This was used on tomatoes, peppers and eggplants when they were planted out.

I also used it on Watermelons and Cantaloupes. On these the ground was opened for each hill of seed; seed put in place and 1/4 cup of solution poured on top of the seed; then the seed were covered with soil. When the plants had their first true leaves, the hills were thinned to the two strongest plants and another 1/4 cup of solution was poured at the base of the plants (1/8 cup per plant).

My results: It does an excellent job of repelling cucumber beatles on everything.

It worked surprisingly well at repelling leaf-footed bugs and other stink bugs except for the small green stinkbugs on tomatoes (I normally found 2 or 3 of the green ones on 250 tomato plants during the morning walk throughs.) I'd call that pretty effective control.

It doesn't repel flea beatles or Colorado Potato beatle from eggplant, but the potato beatles didn't get on the tomatoes like they normally would.

It has no effect on cutworms or horn worms. (However, the horn worms growth seemed stunted and they displayed poor appetite.)

It is effective on aphids on tomatoes. A few varieties of tomatoes had a few but they never became a problem.

Next year I intend to use it on everything along with my usual spray of teas.

Not scientific I know, but I'm satisfied. I used 1/2 of a 4 oz. bottle and inocculated everything I planted. At $9 plus shipping that's a lot of bang for the buck.

To make the solution, I added 1 teaspoon of the powder to 2 liters of nonchlorinated water. It should be used within 12 hours of mixing. Claud

http://www.greenviewfertilizer.com/s...ch-P91C13.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roots BioPak.jpg (14.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 021.JPG (228.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 022.JPG (290.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-27-2015 002.JPG (213.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-27-2015 003.JPG (181.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-28-2015 007.JPG (258.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg P1000898.JPG (186.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg P1000909.JPG (198.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg P1000914.JPG (239.1 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by saltmarsh; August 20, 2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Add a couple of more photos.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote