View Single Post
Old April 7, 2014   #35
bower
Tomatovillian™

Darren, while you're still working on examples of cultivars for your blog, I thought I should mention that Black Cherry has clear skin, not yellow and belongs with the purples not the browns.

Of the blacks I have grown, these are 'purple' with clear skin: Black Cherry, Chernomor, Vorlon, Indian Stripe. These ones are brown with the Y skin: Black Russian, Brazilian Beauty. If you need some pictures for your blog, pm and I'll dig you up a couple.

Also re: radial stripes, Frogsleap gives Indian Stripe and Arbuznyi as OP's with that trait, on this great page about stripes:
http://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.ca/2011/02/genetic-control-of-fruit-stripes-in.html

Re the Gf allele with the red heart - I have seen pictures but not grown the determinate "Black Sea Man" which appears to have this trait - you might want to check with people who have grown it and can confirm that. (The Future is one here who grows it every year).

I haven't been able to find a single example of 'apricot'. The pictures from TGRC also don't show the red islands or pink around locules I expected from the description and instead looks plain and orange. It is disappointing because there are yellow and orange varieties with that red blush inside but no clear connection to this gene afaict.

You should list Jaune Flamme with the Beta gene instead of tangerine, also. The presentation that Chris linked by David Francis may be unpublished but he is a well known professional in the field and if he says JF is Beta, I think it's authoritative.

The wierd thing about Jaune Flamme, it also has little red streaks in the center, but according to the published stuff, there's no interaction with Beta BB and apricot atat that could explain it... as Beta needs the wild alleles RR tt and atat so they say..??? A different promoter I guess....

Ah well, if nothing this whole thread has left me with a lot of curiosity....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote