View Single Post
Old April 1, 2022   #8
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

I've heard of Natria but never used it. My experience with Serenade was unsatisfactory,
i.e. it didn't work (at least according to the standards the manufacturer provided).

There seem to be a number of "new" and similar products on the market. Either they
are using a different strain of the bacillus or perhaps licensing from Bayer. I wouldn't
trust any of them if used as directed. And they all want to sell in gallons or more.
BTW I don't know who "Arber" is but I am sure their claims are grossly in excess of
what will actually happen with their product

However, there is an alternative in a product called Revitalize from Bonide. I used it
last year after my supply of Serenade ran out. Last I've looked, it is available
although last year getting any was hard because they couldn't find bottles to pack it in.

NOW. I'M going to tell you how to use this stuff and I hope you read carefully. I don't
mean to be short with anyone but the routine I have is very specific. It works if you follow
and may not if you don't. I had been in correspondence with a couple of others and
their results were about the same as mine, a situation that I interpret as nearly total
success. In other words, my plants survived and produced well for the entire season.

In addition to the Revitalize you will need to get some copper fungicide (10% copper
octanoate concentrate) Available as several brands but please read the label to
confirm that you have the correct concentration. You will also need a bottle of
spreader sticker. This is a combination of a surfactant and a resin that facilitates
the "spreading" and the "sticking" of watever other product you mix it with. Bonide
has a product called "Turbo" spreader sticker that works well except that it is very
expensive. Other products are available but you will have to research the contents.
Look for something containing alcohol ethoxylate and/or alkylphenol ethoxylate.
In spite of their ominous sounding names these are both just detergents. I believe
both Home Depot and Tractor Supply have a gallon of something for about $15.
I think they call it a "farm surfactant".

OK, here we go. Your first application. Getcher sprayer ready and clean and your
measuring spoons or syringes, etc.. For ONE gallon of final spray solution, add to water
ONE tablespoon of the copper octanoate and ONE tablespoon of the spreader-
sticker. Do not use more of either component. This quantity is the same as 1/2 of
a fluid ounce. Mix carefully and spray your plants with this preparation in good
weather. I generally spray this in the late afternoon if rain is not expected overnight
or in the morning if rain is not expected during the day. Your actual application of
the biofungicide comes after this one.

The next morning, if you sprayed in the afternoon, or later the same day, if you
sprayed in the morning, you can add an application of the biofungicide. Water
and your biofungicide are all you need at this step. Follow the manufacturer's
instruction for the amounts.

IF you have had good enough weather to make both applications, you should be good
for 7 to 10 days. Your plants will protect themselves by producing an immune reaction.
Repeat the routine at intervals of 7 to 10 days. After the first two times you should
be able to stay at 10 days or longer. Precipitation between scheduled sprays
should be no problem as it is the plant that will do the work by producing compounds
thar help immunize it.
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote