View Single Post
Old September 13, 2007   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Wouldn't have known to even ask about those....not a variety I'd seen before or with which I was familiar. Thanks for sharing the pics....and all those seeds to Mark! You were an angel of tomato seed bounty.

Zana, A few years back I had a student from Ethiopia named Tadesse Wuhib and when he went back to Addis Abbaba for a visit I asked him to bring back what he could in the way of tomato seed.

He got two for me, and I named one Tadesse and the other Wuhib. How clever of me, right?

Wuhib is the more available commercially than is Tadesse.

It was from my student Heidi Iyok who was from Cameroon that I got the excellent variety I cleverly named Heidi, which has become a favorite of many.

Lest you think that I demanded that all my students try to give me tomato seeds in order to pass a course, I didn 't, , but I also told them of my interest and so in that way got such varieties as Gogosha, Ilse's Yellow ( the woman's basketball team was composed of over 6 ft tall ladies from Latvia) and several varieties from the Ukraine.

The faculty were not exempt and from some of them I got Omar's Lebanese, Opalka, Soldacki, Crnkovic Yugoslavian and more. From the maintenance man who was working in the ladies bathroom I got Chris Ukrainian.

And so it goes.