View Single Post
Old May 26, 2013   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grow to sell at my house and take to markets so I use a lot of cell packs to grow in. When I sell individual pots I buy a case of 4" pots and the flats that fit the pots so they aren't tipping over. This would be a much better "type " of individual grow out than the 2401's or the 1801's. I grow geraniums and tomatoes in these pots, they do take up more room for your plant space, but are much easier to work with as individual containers. I find the cell packs start to tip over once the packs are split apart and they are getting a little taller and there isn't a whole sheet left in the tray, BUT this is much more economical than the pots/trays investment. The trays are fairly expensive, but you can get around that by going to the big box stores and asking for the empties from their plant shipments. The pots though, are cheap ( at least for me, I can buy locally from a greenhouse supplier that is Amish) The case of 825 pots is approx 40.00. This is the Landmark Plastic Corp. brand, Co Extruded Thremoform Pots. A thin "soft" mum pot. This would better for writing on than the inserts. Those are incredible thin and there is no support for your pen to mark the surface, whereas the mum pots are in a "sleeve" stack and you could write on them before you pull the bottom pot off.

@Cole Robbie, What type/brand of 1801"s do you buy that you have to cut them apart? I have never seen them in that style. They should be "pre-cut" so that the corners are still all attached together and you can tear them apart as you need. Some years I see the plastic is heavier than others, but never a solid uncut sheet of them.