Thread: Pole Limas
View Single Post
Old April 21, 2007   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

ShelleyBean....i grow either Sieva or Willow Leaf every season, just to keep the seed fresh. Never have grown King of The Garden.

Sieva , to me is a plant capable of greater ranginess, running ambition, than a Willow Leaf, but not in a drastic way greater than a WL. A Sieva produces a slightly thicker lima, and a wider hull than a WL, but both are wonderful tasting white Pole limas. Baby limas seem to be a greater make-up in the shelled product with WL, which i like it better, for...although one can pick Sievas earlier and accomplish the same, i guess, but they are more difficult to shell at that size in a Sieva.

Yield with either of these CV's is greatly affected by planting density. If you plant them too thick, you will have a massive green fence (i grow them on a barb-wire fence usually, although this season they are going to share Tomato occupancy) ...with very few beans. They will smother their own blooms with over-laden heavy foilage if planted too thick. I know it sounds crazy , but for this reason only, i dont plant them any closer than about 18 inches apart.They LOVE light, and it affects yield also, in relation to the afore-mentioned density issue. Both CV's are easily trained, opportunistic Climbers, they'll go anywhere you lead them to if they can get light there. They grow and get along wonderfully with a Tomato in support, and the best yields i ever saw came from just a few plants that hopped across the walk-path and started climbing them. Superb-yielding, long season CV's..both are...and they really crank it up, late in the Season.

Good Luck an Good Eatin them...)))