View Single Post
Old March 29, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeltan View Post
There might be an exception if you want something you can't obtain by simple crossing of existing stable lines. Your initial F2 (F3) generation might combine several important traits for further breeding on one parent(e.g. disease resistance...) and then you add the other parent for further desirable traits.
Exactly! Not everyone has two ideal OP parents to get all the desired traits from a simple cross.
I have made many crosses toward the end of season or after first fruit has ripened and been tasted and evaluated. That's here with a nominal growing season of 2.9 months. So by no means out of the question. I've even made crosses in September - really the end! of our season, and managed to get seed. Many times.
There's no reason not to use an F3 for a cross, if you see that it has a number of the traits you desired and had a parent available with the complementary traits.

I don't know of any breeders who object to the use of unstable material for other crosses, other than perhaps KarenO. The only real advantage of making a simple cross between 2 OP's, you only have to grow seven generations and you're done.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote