View Single Post
Old December 24, 2018   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The chilies every heat scale says is somewhat hot I dont taste/detect any heat at all and I eat an abundance of many of them.
Like the guajillo chili they say it is between 2,500 to 30,000.
I have ate a mountain of them bought and grown and never had anything close to hot not even a wee bit.
On the other hand the same bunch says a jalapeno is 3,500 to 8,000 and I have had them burn my lips off.
Never had a guajillo or jalapeno over about 10,000 RSU ("Ray's Scoville Units"). I've had a run of unusually mild jalapenos in the past couple of years. But whatever my pizza guy is using for jalapenos has me on fire, but in a good way (I'm thinking he is using sliced serranos instead). I measure by intensity and duration and also level of tears rolling down my cheeks (it's not a scientific method, but it works for me).
Usually it takes about 20,000 - 50,000 (Serrano to Cayenne or Tabasco) to get the tearing going and up to 100,000-350,000 (Habanero or hotter) to make me wonder why I took I bite, accompanied by very painful unpleasant burn, usually with bad acid reflux after I swallow.
To me (IMO) ... I wouldn't define a pepper as Hot until above 50,000. Medium would be in the 3000-20000 range. Medium Hot would be in between 20000-50000.
It's all subjective... some people can munch a Habanero without sweating, while another person can munch the same Habanero and demand hospitalization.
My best experiences have been eating pepper relish on crackers, smiling from the flavor while tears were rolling down my cheeks. Tears of joy, mild pain and not being able to wait to shovel the next cracker full of the relish into my mouth.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote