Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2016   #193
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Whole Tomatoes Fermented in a Brine

Translated literally from Russian it would sound more like "salted tomatoes" but it is, in fact, tomatoes fermented in a brine. This condiment-type food is the way how Eastern-European people were preserving tomatoes for centuries. Also this is a second favorite accompaniment to a shot of vodka. Why second? Just because first one, hands down, is a pickle, of course, according to Russian drinking traditions.

What it is
It is whole tomatoes kept in brine until they soften and acquire special sweet-and-sour briny tingling taste.

Variations
Per your taste they can be more or less spicy. Traditionally dill added as a herb to a brine but other herbs, or even celery and peppers can be added also.

How it's served
As a condiment it is goes very well with any more-or-less mild food. For example we like it with any type potato dishes or any meat, especially grilled one.

Some side comments
- It may be acquired taste but as soon as you really got into it, you'll love this stuff. Eastern-European cuisine has a long list of traditional fermented dishes - from cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes to apples and watermelons. All of them are important part of everyday meal for us who come from Eastern Europe.

- Fermented tomatoes are at its best after about one week, after fermenting at a room temperature for 5 days and being in a fridge for a couple of days.

- My husband adores brine left from fermented tomatoes - it has balanced sweet and salty taste enriched with tomato, herb and garlic flavors. For centuries, in Russia, this brine was the best remedy for vodka-intoxicated bodies and was the first thing in a morning as an after-party drink. Fortunately it is not huge importance for us personally, we just enjoy tomatoes, and brine in a totally sober condition

How to store it
It will keep in a fridge for a long time up to a few months.

Tips
- Smaller size tomatoes fit perfectly for fermenting. Although sometimes I cut tomatoes in a half if they are on a large side. In this case they will start fermenting faster and already in 2-3 days jar can be transferred into a fridge.

- Best way to wash dill is to drop whole bunch into big pot with cold water and shake herb with your hand lightly - dirt and sand will fall on a bottom and all damaged leaves will float to a top. Pick bad leaves. Then get your herbs on a paper towel and leave it to dry a little bit. To store leftovers, wrap them in a dry paper towel, put in a plastic bag and place in a fridge - it will be ready for you and keep nicely for several days.

- I like to peel garlic this way - place separated cloves into small fold-in sandwich bag (no need for zip-bag!), twist the top and bang it several times off the counter or your husband (if he deserves it ; or rub bag between your palms. Garlic will release a bit of juice which will facilitate peeling. Now, just open bag, use knife to peel cloves (I still use knife because I like to cut off tiny woody end of clove). Get peels into the same bag and throw it away - nice and clean.
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote