View Single Post
Old February 13, 2019   #6
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Wile wormwood is a "weed" n some areas; here in N.C. it is a landscape plant; using several varieties can give a lovely miix of colors. Artemesia Powis-Castel attracts ladybugs who are nature's gardeners, but is a hybrid and has to be rooted from cuttings. But grand wormwood (artemesia absinthium) is a pest deterrent and repels darned near every kind of insect, 4, 6, 8, and multilegged ones. I've never even seen a snake (not even our resident black one) in it. It keeps away deer, dogs, and almost all 4 legged critters. I keep a plant or two in a pot on our deck....no mosquitoes. I plant wormwood between my tomato plants and no insect born diseases. Prior to using it, my garden was endemic for TSWV, nne with wormwood. It deters the thrips that carry it. Wormwood after being established, prevents the germination of seeds around it like black walnut trees do. You can plant a plant in a stand of wormwood and it will do fine, but no seeds. If you forget your insect repellent in areas where there are mosquitoes and other insects, rubbing a few leaves on your exposed sin is an effective insect repellent. My wife's parsley was always being attacked by parsley worms. Moved it near the wormwood plant; no more parsley worms. Hence my using wormwood in my garden. Here it is a perennial, but last year a lot of mine were accidentally turned under by my family member tilling my garden. So I need to stat afresh.

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote