View Single Post
Old September 24, 2018   #8
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I started growing tomatoes because I really enjoy a good tomato and mayonaise sandwich. But I couldn't buy it in the store. I grew as many as 75 varieties a year. I over wintered tomatoes in a modified hoop house.

And then a couple of years ago I read a little blurb about research by the University of Florida to improve the taste of commercial tomatoes.

Since then I've had good tasting tomatoes year round. I eat about 5 pounds a week of fresh tomatoes not counting the tomatoes I can during the summer for chili, soups and stews.

I said I like good tasting tomatoes.

This is easy once you get the hang of it. Grow a crop of tomatoes every week.

Tools are fairly cheap and you may already have them. A little meat probe to measure temperature and a timer.

Buy 5 pounds of the red cardboard slicers from the grocery. Select unblemished plump less than ripe tomatoes.

Run 125 degree F. tap water in a pot which will hold all the tomatoes.

Remove any stems and labels like "Product of Mexico" and place the tomatoes in the pot of water.

Place a saucer on top to hold them under the water.

Set your timer for 5 minutes and press "start". After 5 minutes remove the tomatoes to dry on a kitchen towel. DON'T REFERIGERATE THEM. Let them ripen on the counter for a week. Don't cheat - 7 days.

You won't believe the improvement in flavor and texture.

125 degrees F. for 5 minutes allow to ripen on the counter for a week.

Start another crop. Claud

By the way, they don't need sunllight to ripen, you can ripen them in a closet, just not the refrigerator.

Last edited by saltmarsh; September 24, 2018 at 09:02 AM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote