View Single Post
Old June 13, 2017   #2854
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
The water soluble ferts and unavoidable salt build-up takes a toll on potting mix and fabric pots. The pots crust up white with patches of green slime and much of the peat is broken or pulverized.

The probability of increased poundage would be enough for me to go fresh mix and pots, the peace of mind is icing.
The grossness (is that a word?) on the Root Pouches is unbelievable. I put the hose on JET and hit the outside of the Root Pouch starting about 6" from the bottom and working down. All kinds of green algae is washed off. I thought it was just me b/c of the humidity here.

Once everything is pulled, I am going to Pressure wash the Root Pouches. Mine are beyond Gross. I always use some brand new ones for plants I think will be favorite and can't tell the difference between those and others used for many seasons. Initially, I just used the Longer Lasting more expensive brown ones but since have converted to the grey ones. I'm on 3 years with my earliest grey ones and they are still good. Will see after the pressure wash. I'm on the 5th year with the brown ones.

Marsha - If you are not noticing salt buildup on the outside, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like the water line of a toilet in a raunchy gas station bathroom back in the day. It's definitely obvious. Ricky and I fed the plants daily so that is probably the difference.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote