View Single Post
Old June 14, 2012   #17
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

tom-ato, Thanks!
You certainly came out of the box with some "hot" posts and results! Hence all the questions....

Raybo,
Reptile bark? I had to look that up. Even more expensive - appears to be just plain fir bark. All in the marketing I guess.....
Better business idea for you Ray - hook up with a local nursery, package a premade "Uncle Raybo's Earthtainer mix" put your photo on the bag and start selling!! Side kit of all the ferts, etal that you have trialed.

Another alternative for both of you - I also trialed hydroton in an Inntainer this winter, had good success inside, so I completely switched over to it for outside in the Earthtainers this year. Plants are looking incredible, lots of flowers and fruitset, and I really need to post some pictures.
Hydroton - costs about $32 for a 50L bag (13.21 gal) also not inexpensive, but can be reused year after year without having to be renewed.

EDIT: I take no credit for the hydroton idea, I got it from this thread with (big surprise) raybo, amideutch, dice and sprtsguy76 all weighing in on its potential.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14049

FYI - (Raybo knows this as he gave me the ratio -more for others who may be reading) I am using Promix BX in an 8-5-2 ratio - 8 BX, 5 hydroton, 2 perlite - BX has perlite baked in already, hence the ratio change.

Raybo, sent you a pm on another matter.

Last edited by JamesL; June 14, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added thread info
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote