View Single Post
Old April 11, 2010   #3
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwigz View Post
Hi,

Last spring I was using some farmer's market garlic I had purchased in the fall. I noticed that inside, the bulbs all had small green shoots. Being the inquisitive person that I am, I decided to plant them. Needless to say, I knew nothing (and still know very little) about garlic.

I dug around one of them in the fall, and didn't see any sort of bulb formation, so I covered it back up and let them over winter. I had about a 2-3" layer of leaves/grass over the soil all winter.

Well, it appears that they are starting to grow again, it looks like they are shooting up new green leaves.

Are they likely to produce bulbs? (when?)

Is their anything I can do to help them along?

Any other advice?

Below are a few pictures I've taken.

Thanks,

Dan
[quote=danwigz;164699]

Depending on YOUR growing zone AND the type of garlic you're growing!

Are they likely to produce bulbs? (when?) They are producing bulbs as we write,
though cloves don't start forming til late May, early June.

Is their anything I can do to help them along? Fertilize, fertilize, and again, fertilize. Earlier in February and March I sprinkled blood meal and alfalfa meal around the plants and watered that in. Beginning in March I started watering with fish emulsion, alfalfa tea and a couple of other things about every 7-10 days. I STOP all ferts Mothers Day. Too many ferts after that will adversely affect the over all size of your head.

Any other advice? If you're growing hardneck garlic cut off the scape that forms in late May after it makes a full curl, that will increase the size of the head. Finally, if you don't harvest great heads this year, grow again and again. As with tomatoes, growing garlic is addictive.

I'm just a simple home gardener, there are others here who are more experienced and commercial growers. If, I've offered incorrect advice, please forgive me.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote