View Single Post
Old August 18, 2010   #83
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, Remy is as honest they come in all ways, not just her variety descriptions.

While Remy did get her Huge Black seeds from someone in KY it's not a KY heirloom. It was first listed in the SSE YEarbook in 2001 by Ake, from Sweden, who lists many so called black varieties that he acquires from folks in Eastern Europe and more commonly the former USSR, now called the CIS.

I've grown Huge Black and it's what I call a pink Black such as Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe and Black from Tula, as opposed to a red/black such as Black Krim. And you can take the Huge out of the name since it isn't.

For the last several years I've been offering it in my free seed offer here but since the seeds are from 2004 I don't think I'll be offering them again next year.

I'm sure Remy wouldn't mind my mentioning that if it's KY heirlooms you're after please look at the Seed Source title here of Blue Ribbon Seeds, owned by Maria, who is from KY and offers lots and lots of KY heirlooms off her e-bay site.
Just checked out that site and yea i probably will be ordering there too lol. I do not only grow Kentucky varieties but I do try my best when I can.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote