Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old July 14, 2019   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we're settling in for a wet July, I may be trimming at harvest too at this rate.

Incidentally, last year was the first time I stripped all my garlic to a clean wrapper at harvest time, instead of waiting to clean at least part way through the cure. This week the scapes are emerging on the porcelains, and I am just eating my last porcelain bulbs, a couple left, they are all still firm about a month from harvest time. They have kept perfectly well after being stripped down in the field, so no negative effect on keeping quality. I must admit my house has been cold most of the summer, with only a few sunny days pushing us over 70 F, so the keeping conditions have been optimal and I might have lost a few by now if the summer was normal. Anyway it is 11 months from harvest and they're good, and that is as good or better than any garlic I kept without the early strip down. Good news to me. As it is for sure easier to lose that bottom leaf and wrapper when they're moist and fresh from the ground.
The traditional way, of curing them before you clean, is probably a hedge against bruising them since they are very easy to damage when fresh. So kudos PH for scaling it up. It does take a bit of practice to get the technique. Main point, be prepared to sacrifice a green leaf and don't worry about the lost wrapper. It's the same one you would have removed later anyway. I have tried to get the wrapper from a leaf that was gone, and if it doesn't come easily, you have more chance of giving the bulb a ding trying to scrape it off, I think.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote