GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Spanish Potatoes With Olive Oil And Wine

Spanish Potatoes With Olive Oil And Wine
Patatas panaderas (baker's potatoes)
Source: Cooks Illustrated magazine

2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4" thick
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 1/2 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt (if using Morton brand, use only 2 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 onion, halved and sliced thin
2 garlic cloved, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stir potato slices and oil together in large bowl until potatoes are evenly coated. Stir in the salt and pepper until well distributed. Stir in the onion and garlic.
3. Transfer potato mixture to a 13x9" baking dish and spread into an even layer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until potatoes can be easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 35-40 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350.
4. Carefully remove the foil and set aside. Pour wine evenly over potatoes. Lightly place the reserved foil on top opf dish, leaving the sides open so moisture can escape. Return dish to the oven.
5. Bake until wine has evaporated or been absorbed (there will still be some oil bubbling around the edges of the dish), about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove the foil. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

GoDawg's Notes:
- These are probably the tastiest potatoes I've ever made. Such an easy recipe. Very tender and so flavored through by the onion and garlic! We marked the recipe "5 Stars" and "Company Good".
- Yukon Golds are used because they are closest to the kind of potatoes used in Spain for this dish.
- I read that a sauvignon blanc can be used for just about all recipes calling for dry white wine. So I always use the inexpensive stuff from WalMart, Oak Leaf sauvignon blanc, about $4 a bottle!
- This recipe makes a lot if there are only two people to eat it! Next time I will make a half recipe and still have leftovers for Day 2.
- My potatoes were tender at 35 minutes and the wine had been absorbed after 15 minutes.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote