View Single Post
Old August 26, 2010   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Devil, you are right about the Greasy Beans. I helped a neighbor get a crop of those by spraying for Japanese Beetles that were eating everything in sight. Never did get a taste of them, but their reputation is definitely just what you said - "to die for". They're on the list for next year.

Freelancer, I hope you haven't taken offense. While I don't doubt your information source was something printed, it's just that I ran into a parodox between the published information and what I was encountering on the "street" (so to speak). When that happens, I become very suspicious of the written data sources.

The one thing I AM sure of is that these mountain folks (and, yes, I am one) do not fit any particular mold and therefore are hard to say anything "collectively" about. They can be very much alike and, yet, at the same time, so very different and individual. No one statement can encapsulate them all. Bill Best might have made a better point by saying that Turkey Craw beans are one of the popular varieties grown even though that is not true here in these counties near the KY border.

I hope you haven't taken offense, as none was meant. If I was a bit coarse, then my apology is there if you would accept it.

I have learned over the years that the only thing you can say about these wonderful people here in "Appalachia" is that they are both individually and collectively very different from any place I have ever lived (And that's a good thing) - and I've lived in every corner of these United States and all over the middle as well during my 2+ decades in the US Air Force.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote