View Single Post
Old September 9, 2011   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
standard fluorescent light fixtures work very well for my indoor tomato plants. There is no need to buy expensive things to get your tomato plants going, especially if you can supplement with natural light during the day.

Tania
And you use them for fully growing plants too? I always thought they were just for seedlings. That might be a good idea too because I'm not sure I have enough lights...depends on how they do once they really start growing.

ZWD, my lights won't be running hot, so I'm not sure foil would burn the plants, but I will definately look into the Mylar as well. Someone else on one of those threads you provided also mentioned those inexpensive emergency blankets? I have one in my car kit .... of course the day I take it out I'll get stuck in snow somewhere for hours ...

I wanted to start this project now to take advantage of natural light early on and also because in my zone, I have 7 months from first frost to last frost. My growing season is shorter here so I figure it will probably take 4 months from seed to start getting (if I get!) tomatoes on a few and it would be really nice to have a fresh tomato or two in January when days are so dark and long!

This is going to get out of hand. Last night I ordered a few seeds online for some very early tomatoes because most of what I already have is mid-late season seeds. Where will I put all these ?
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote