View Single Post
Old March 30, 2019   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

To ~Bee and Marsha, thanks so much. Like Marsha, I will never trust MG again. Once is too many times. By this time tomorrow, I will have a handle on the total impact. I know that I have lost a dozen or more varieties because I used either the last or the only seeds I had. I will post a list of the ones I would like to regain. I spent most of the early part of today just scrubbing trays and cells with bleach and mild soap. The few seedlings that survived have only a 50% chance of making it to the main garden. It's like the stem was "choked" to a thread of what was trying to be a root. I guess the acidity was hugely overpowering.

What really blows me away is how fast it went from "all is okay" to "we are dead or dying". I calculate it was no more than 9 hours. This is my third year with the heat mat, so I don't think it was much of a factor in beginning the plunge. I've read a few incidents this year that has mostly involved MG. Perhaps the "roundup" issues are draining their capital and they have loaded up some mix that wasn't quite ready for primetime.

I've had no indication of any problem with the Jiffy products so far. It's good that I caught the problem as quick as I did. My diligence has greatly limited the impact. DW has made me get the stinking MG out of her house.

Thanks to all for your genuine concerns. I'm trying to let everyone know that I've had the problem I have encountered so that folks may learn from my misfortune. Until proven differently, I will not use MG potting products again. My gut feeling is that the mix was not fully composted. I'll never forget my first impression this morning of "SEWAGE".

Well, right now I'm tired and ready for some down time. I wish each and every one of you the best gardens you've ever had. I'll get by just fine. I always do.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote