View Single Post
Old July 2, 2011   #66
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

jhoganaz, you may have tried it already, but another trick is to prune about a third of the old plant out when it starts to grow again after the intense heat has started backing off to 100 degrees or less. If a plant makes it through the heat alive and then gets pruned it seems to help the new fruit set speed up a bit. Some of the varieties that have very short days to maturity seem to do better for a late crop than the varieties that have an 80 to 90 days to maturity. I'm just guessing, but some of the varieties developed in the northern areas seem to be able to handle the shorter daylight times better than the varieties that do well during spring and summer here in the South. Some of my favorites like Green Zebra will put on a ton in the fall, but really slows down when days get shorter in the fall and doesn't have time to ripen here in Tucson. Your late frost date may give some of them time. This year I'm trying something that I've not done before. I'm planting a couple of tomatoes each week to help me determine the best time of the summer to start my fall crop.