View Single Post
Old March 20, 2008   #14
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Considering this thread is devoted to Butternut squash, my suggestion may be on the verge of blasphemy. Here goes....

The last two years I have grown 2 varieties of squash that I, my family, and our friends and neighbors have raved about. The first is "Sunshine" and the other is packaged in an all Japanese packet--my very rough translation is "Tokyo Fragrant". Both are Kabocha squash originating in Cambodia and/or Thailand.

Sunshine's description:

AAS 2004 winner. Vibrant orange-red color, sweet, nutty, absolutely smooth flesh is why this selection received the prestigious All-American award for 2004. Short 6'- 8' vines are productive of 3- 4 lb kabocha type fruits. The sweet, richly flavored flesh is impeccably refined.

Sunshine is available from Nichol's Nursery in Albany, OR.

Now for my description:

It's so sweet that we don't add any sugar, syrup or even butter while it is cooking. We eat it plain. We had squash soup with it today. I added a little sour cream. Awesome.

I still have three squash in my garage. The big one was the only fruit on one whole vine (an experiment on my part). It weighs 16 lbs!! The other two are normal sized at 4 lbs.

I will grow only these two varieties from now on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to the butternut channel.