View Single Post
Old April 16, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Do you remember the long thread about this at the SSE message site where I referred you to Tania's site and discussed with you about where your seeds came from etc.? Your last post in that thread was on April 14th, 2011 when you said that all your seeds were giving you RL plants.

I'm not going to transfer that whole thread here but will just cut and paste my comment to you from one of several posts I did about this variety:

(What you have is Sokolades, first listed in the Yearbook in 2009, source was an SSE member in OR and described as pink/black fruit, ind.,4-10 oz and says RL. Another person lists it and says indet, PL, large beefsteak plant, brown red fruit, not prolific, from Irish Seed Savers Association and said to be a Latvian heirloom, which I would disagree with rather vigorously, actually.

So maybe not quite stable as to leaf form right now, since the person listing it as RL is a VERY experienced grower whom I know well.
Aha, I looked up the SSE member from whom this person got seeds and it's the owner of Adaptive Seeds in OR, a site I'm not all that comfortable with, just my opinion. So what Adaptive seeds may be sending out is a genetically not yet stable variety with respect to leaf form, so it seems.)

This all came up in a thread where folks were posting their growout lists and I asked about Sokolades b'c I had a variety from Andrey that was spelled almost the same. But in doing some background research I disovered that Sokolades and what I had were two quite different varieties.

So if the owner of Adaptive seeds is sending out seeds for this variety that are RL and not PL, or one or the other, I think he's the one you should be interacting with and the other info I posted in that SSE thread as well as the above does indicate, at least to me, that this variety is still genetically unstable.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by carolyn137; April 16, 2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: can't spell at 5 AM
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote