View Single Post
Old May 1, 2017   #351
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Some of those will get quite large and Sungold will grow out long thin stems with an abundance of suckers which quickly become loaded with blooms and fruit. It is a hard plant to keep under control as it puts out massive amounts of small tomatoes. With it you might want to connect your stakes with twine or something in order to help in supporting Sungold with something almost like a large cage. With it I would allow a good number of stems until it starts to get a bit crowded as the plant is quite spindly and sparse on foliage so sun and air flow is not usually a problem until it starts falling over when it outgrows its support.

If I were you and supporting each stem with its own post I would try to keep most of the heirlooms to 3 or 4 stems in order to get good sun and air flow.

Bill
Tell me about Sungold !

I have one that I can hardly keep up with pruning it. It is the tallest and the biggest plant. Maybe Brandy Boy comes close.
BTW: I picked 2 tomatoes from it today (half ripe ). That and SFT were the first to get ripe tomatoes 90 days from sowing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote