View Single Post
Old February 8, 2011   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangisha View Post
Its usually there is something white on the leaf like powder but sticky to the leave. Its usually appears after the fruit set and its start from the lowest leave and goes up. Even the new sucker leaf got it too.

My guess is its a type of White powdery mold or mildew (its still is a fungus though) The symptoms of the most common one are a white powdery residue, then the leaves will have yellow patches instead of green, then brown and die.

I think there is nothing else to do at thats stage because I harvest it all today but do you think its stay in the soil. Is it good idea to compost the soil in container to compost bin. I had new tomato but the lowest leave also got this. They were in the same location (roof). But in others location don't get it (porch/veranda).

I had baking soda at home I think I will try it.

Thanks
Its usually there is something white on the leaf like powder but sticky to the leave. Its usually appears after the fruit set and its start from the lowest leave and goes up. Even the new sucker leaf got it too.

My guess is its a type of White powdery mold or mildew (its still is a fungus though) The symptoms of the most common one are a white powdery reside, then the leaves will have yellow patches instead of green, then brown and die.

If its in containers some fungus can live in the soil for 3 years or so. So no I would toss the soil and the plants in the trash. Soak or clean the pots really well with bleach (memutihkan or pengelantang / kelantang in Indonesian) before you reuse them.

Then next time when you are growing and its really rainy or humid just use the Baking soda, or bleach treatment (I have used both (not at the same time) as a fungicide and both work) That should slow it down or prevent it next time. Usually by the time it gets to where you notice it, It's a lot harder to control.

Last edited by Stepheninky; February 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote