View Single Post
Old November 29, 2019   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

GoDawgs I totally missed your post until today! I'm afraid that hunger got the best of the seedling test... Most of them went to my Mom as micro/baby greens. I was fairly satisfied that they looked to be true to type with some minimal crossing. Some of the seed lots turned out to be really crossed though, when I grew them later - mixed up kales. The LED lights seemed to do wierd things to the anthocyanin - red turns up where it isn't or doesn't show up where it is, and you only find out what's really going on when they get out into the daylight.

I just recently started michihili seed again - this time from the one I thought had the best chance to be crossed. I started extras just to see what I could find. Most are true to type Michihili, but the crossed ones all apparently from different parents. Easy to tell the red russian kale cross! And that one tasted the best in my nibbler taste test this morning.

The true type Michihili is on the far left. The crosses are faster growing, as you would expect from their other parents! One thing noted - hairly/prickly leaf must be dominant, as it shows up in all of the offspring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mich-and-crosses.JPG (93.3 KB, 24 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote