View Single Post
Old January 3, 2011   #13
maupin
Tomatovillian™

We don't have electricity on our farm exept for a solar panel donated by Border Green Energy Team to power the aquarium pump to make aerated compost tea, so no elec toothbrushes for pollination.

I can plant under the trellace we grow long bean on-- soil is shaded, have the bamboo trellace posts to maybe try a Florida Weave for support. Since the plants will be well shaded, I think I will plant at regular distances. White plastic couldn't hurt, readily available, and cheap, so I'll do half in white plastic and half without and chart any impact this would have on shaded soil.

I would very much prefer OP seeds, as part of the point of this effort is seed saving and distribution. My experience with AT has been unimpressive in the States and here--never saw any greater heat tolerance with them.

So my instinct--easily changed by input from y'all-- is to go with Cherokee Purple and Mark Bagby. Maybe Opalka--only because it looks like the tomato they grow here and set well for me in heat back home.
maupin is offline   Reply With Quote