View Single Post
Old November 15, 2017   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Even where I am in Zone 5 in upstate NY,it will get to 90 or above,that's F not C, but at 90 plus for several days the pollen is destroyed, denatured,and if it's also humid the pollen wil lclump making it less produtive.

Once the temps go back down new buds and blossoms appear and onward it goes.

But what I can't remember is when I was growing it so often what the weather was like.

And I'm sure you'll also look into the other two varieties that you mentioned as well.

Carolyn

Fusion_power wrote this in a thread about the effect of temperatures-

"92°F = This is the temp at which pollen starts clumping and blossoms begin to drop.

70°F (21C) to 92°F (33C) = This is the goldilocks zone. Tomatoes grow prolifically, flowers set readily, plants need maximum fertility in the soil. The high end of this range is optimum for spread of several foliage diseases."

It seldom gets over
92°F in the greenhouse here for several days, and it always cools off at night. In my experience some varieties tolerate heat better than others, and heat tolerance is often mentioned in descriptions of some varieties. I assume this is due to genetic variation in the susceptibility over time of the pollen and flowers.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote