View Single Post
Old July 4, 2015   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, thanks so much for stopping by and clarifying the situation. I was also glad that we both noted that different words were used for color back then , that MANY varieties have become extinct and the futility of trying to recreate Acme, if you will.

The following was just posted:

(If I find an Acme packet, I'm going to email you at Victory Seeds because I need either you, Carolyn, or Craig (or all of you) to help bring Acme back to life and grow it out. Deal?)

I can't speak for others but definitely N0 deal from me. Do you have any idea whatsoever of what some places will do to increase sales by mislabelling seed packs, on purpose? I do.

Which brings me to the Michigan Bulletin, which I think is superb. Mike I thought somewhere in your above post you said 1938, I thought it was 1939, maybe I got mixed up b'c I was born in 1939, my birthday was a week ago yesterday.

Now you can see how frustrated I was b'c I needed help to find mine and frustrated b'c the info in it is superb. What surprised me at first was the long list of synonyms that were used for ONE variety, but that's b'c back then the seed business was fierce and a company would get seeds for X variety and rename it Y and claim they had an exclusive.

Sometimes the list of synonyms for different varieties was longer than the parameters of the specific variety being described.

I also liked those box charts with listings of similar varieties, Mike would know about that, but I don't think he knows about the following.

A.W. Livingstons father married Mary Graham in Cambridge NY way back when. It's but a 12 min drive, with a tail wind and no cop cars on the road, from where I live to Cambridge. There are many Grahams' in this area and some I know, but they would have no interest in their geneology. Mike, when you were here it's too bad I didn't mention that or you could have made a short pilgrimage to Cambridge, and I don't even know if their Town Historian knows about it.

Lastly, you know from my e-mail that I got no seeds out for trial to anyone for this summer and why, but best to discuss that via e-mail, which I will do.

Thanks again for stopping by and clarifying the Acme situation,

Carolyn