View Single Post
Old November 8, 2018   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I'm not really looking for any "curb-appeal" with this property right now, I'm looking for "stay-out-and-leave-me-alone" without putting up chain link and razor wire. The property is split by the road going through so it is a lot of road frontage to cover. Cheap, fast and effective is the way I want to go. It is already very tree-lined, perhaps too much. I'd rather have short (6-15 ft) growth than 50-100 ft trees, which most of those will be coming down.
In a few years after I get everything established, I will probably open up 50-100' of frontage with a formal fenced driveway entrance, nicely landscaped, etc.... but while I am not living there and in a construction / start-up phase, I would rather no unwelcome visitors.

Would the 1800' of blackberry hedge be a permanent part of the landscape? If so, I think it will take you 2-3 years to get there. Planting a piece of root every 10' will take 180 root cuttings. That's a lot of digging them up (finding the good ones) and transplanting (I've done ~50 in half a day). If you loosen the soil and water only where you want them to spread, they should fill-in in 2-3 years. Planting every 5 feet means 360 root cuttings, but it would likely fill-in in only 2 years. I wouldn't want to be the one to cut down 1800' of 2-year old

dead floricanes and haul them away, every year.
If they're not going to be permanent, it'll then take you ~4 years to eradicate them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote